Thursday 9 September 2010

Adessi 10:10 - It's all downhill to Adessi

Having decided to lead from the front on our 10:10 pledges, Debs and I have been getting our bikes out and completing our pledge to cycle to work when possible. The very first journey to the office was extremely memorable because Molly also came with us, and so it was a full family trip from Jesmond to the Ouseburn. I have to say it was a lovely morning, and the ride was extremely easy and actually relaxing, so when I got to the office I remarked how ridiculous it was that we hadn’t just been doing this for a year.

Mark's uphill struggle...
By 5.15pm I was actually looking forward to the ride back to the house, and because Debs and Molly had left after lunch, and I was on my own, I thought I may as well put my foot to the pedal and see how quickly I could get back to the house.

By 5.25pm I had realised 2 things:
  1.  I am actually a lot less fit than I thought 
  2.  Jesmond is on a steady incline all the way from the Ouseburn, and so the lovely morning ride was complimented by the fact that it was all downhill, and I had freewheeled for about 70% of the journey.
 To be honest, I still enjoyed the trip, and have been able to make it into the office 3 times in 3 weeks, which does not sound a lot, but because of daily trips out to see clients, this is the best I can do. I have worked out that between myself and Debs we could reduce our mileage by around 600 miles a year if we keep our commitments of 1 to 2 trips a week by bike, which isn’t bad for us or the overall energy consumption of the business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment