Wednesday 13 October 2010

Adessi 10:10:10 - An Update From Steve

Happy Meat-Free Mondays!
 
I've always been a big meat eater - pretty much every significant meal I've ever had has contained some sort of meat. If anyone had tried to get me off meat, I'd have thought they were twisting my melon, man.
 
What I didn't realise was the environmental impact that meat consumption has - there are loads of stats out there and not enough room here, but the meat industry is a major polluter at pretty much every level, from methane-y cows and big trucks to transport them, to energy-hungry abbatoirs, processing plants and refridgeration.
 
To be blunt, there is little chance of me giving up meat, until the day that a doctor advises me it's essential. However, I do want to do my bit and this is why i was so intrigued by an idea that Paul McCartney's been pushing: Meat-Free Mondays. You can read more about it here:
 
 
What impressed me most about McCartney's approach to Meat-Free Mondays was the understanding approach that I wasn't expecting from a lifelong veggie - he isn't preachy or condescending, and appreciates that some, like me, will find it hard to quit their meat habit.
 
However, one day a week without meat is something even I can do. I must admit it doesn't always fall on a Monday, mainly as a result of chronic absent-mindedness, but my overall meat consumption has definitely decreased.
 
I've actually been finding it ok so far - cheese has been my saviour, without which I'd still be slightly stuck for ideas. I may start to look at meat substitutes, too. I'll never call myself a vegetarian, but if anyone has any good veggie recipe ideas for a self-confessed meat addict, I'd love to hear them. Just hold the mushrooms, thanks!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment